Learning about the camera obscura can provide a useful new perpective on photography and its place in the development of modern photography. By reducing it to its component parts we can see the fundamental elements of photography plainly.
I now offer an extended visit to photo groups and classes – bringing with me a camera obscura you can climb inside, a perfect activity to do before my talk. We can also shoot portraits of the members afterwards.
The obscura will allow you to :
- See how and why varying aperture affect depth of field affects an image
- Explore differences in lenses, and the real effects of different focal lengths.
- Demonstrate how light is focussed
- Clearly explain terms such as focal length, dioptre and aperture and their effects upon the image
- Discover the history of the camera obscura, with historical and contemporary examples of their use within the arts.
The talk is well researched, and includes the following:
- The earliest known mentions of camera obscura
- How the camera obscura not only revolutionised our understanding of the inner workings of the eye but also allowed us to see deep into outer space
- Varying designs and their advantages and applications
- How artists put them to use – with historic and contemporary examples (and some myth busting!)
- How a camera obscura had one man accused imprisoned for witchcraft,
- Advice on building your own
I am CRB checked, and fully insured.
For information and prices, please get in touch by emailing sam[@]pinholepedallers.org